Featured Image: Professional Tile Contractor Installation - Arizona Tile
However tempting it may be to try to install tile yourself, sometimes it is best to leave it to a professional. Although looking online or in a local business listing are quick and easy ways to locate contractors, they do not help you determine a contractor’s abilities. Recommendations from people you trust are always a start, but it is a good idea to visit some tile supply stores that cater to contractors to obtain the names of some well-respected and reliable local contractors.
Is the Tile Contractor Qualified?Once you have a list of a few good contractors, you will want to be sure they meet certain criteria. Here are some important considerations when hiring a tile contractor:
- Verify they have an adequate amount of worker’s compensation insurance. Lack of insurance could be a good indicator that a contractor is not qualified.
- Find out where the contractors learned their trade. Highly qualified contractors often received their training from an apprenticeship program, an accredited trade school or with a reputable contracting firm.
- Check to see how long they have been in business. You want someone who has at least a few years of field experience.
- Look at photos of prior work. A professional contractor should have a good portfolio to show you.
- Get references. Looking at photos alone may not be enough to get an accurate representation of work and will not tell you about the contractor’s work ethic.
Image: Arizona Tile's Tile & Slab Showroom - San Marcos, California
When talking to each professional also be sure to use your instincts - your gut feeling. In addition to having all the right qualifications, you will want to hire someone you feel will be honest, reliable and good communication skills. The difference between quality craftsmanship and low quality work will be well worth your initial investment of time and money in the long run. For more information on selecting a tile contractor, stop by any of our Arizona Tile locations to speak with one of our expertly trained consultants.