Featured Image: Pantone’s - Ultra Violet
There are many words that can be used to describe Pantone’s 2018 Color of the Year, Ultra Violet. It’s bold, it’s bright, and it’s luxurious. Indulgent yet fresh. Spicy yet elegant. When used in the home, it can transform any space and take your décor in a new, exciting direction.
If you’re drawn to this trend-setting color but not sure how to incorporate it into your home design, try these ideas.
1. Ultra Violet Walls
The obvious choice for infusing any room with Ultra Violet color is to paint the walls. Dark, bold colors can sometimes darken a space or make it feel heavy. To avoid this, use Ultra Violet in a room that doesn’t have a lot of open wall space. This makes it a good choice for the kitchen or bathroom, where most of the walls are covered by cabinet, appliances, mirrors, etc. Paired with white or pale gray countertops and cabinets, Ultra Violet can give your kitchen or bathroom a fresh, modern, cheerful aesthetic.
2. Bold Purple Cabinets
If you’ve been looking for an excuse to paint your kitchen cabinets a fun, unique color, Ultra Violet is the trendy answer. Go bold with all-purple cabinets, or use the color as an accent for your island or just the upper cabinets.
3. Tile & Slab to Pair with Ultra Violet
When you use a color as strong and vibrant as purple, it’s important to pair it with a backsplash, countertops and floors that balance and complement the color. Surprisingly, Ultra Violet pairs well with a variety of other colors and surfaces, including: white, gray, gold, most metals, warm-toned woods, black, and other shades of purple like lavender, burgundy, mauve and fuchsia.
Here are a few suggestions for tile and slab that work well with Ultra Violet:
Image: Calacatta Caldia Marble From Arizona Tile
- Calacatta Caldia Marble: White marble, especially varieties with hints of gold in the veining, work with Ultra Violet to create a sense of luxury and elegance.
Image: Silver Cloud Marble From Arizona Tile
- Silver Cloud Marble: Tones of silver and cool gray complement blues and purples beautifully.
Image: Slate Grey Quartz From Arizona Tile
- Slate Grey Quartz (Product Discontinued): A sleek, medium grey countertop is a good choice if you want to tone down the contrast.
Image: Tropical Mist Quartzite From Arizona Tile
- Tropical Mist Quartzite (Product Discontinued): Ultra Violet walls or cabinets will bring out the violet, green and blue tones in this stunning natural stone.
Image: 3D Blade White Matte Ceramic Tile From Arizona Tile
- 3D Porcelain: The subtle texture of 3D is ultra-contemporary, and the pure white color is the perfect contrast to the boldness of Ultra Violet walls or cabinets.
Image: Bevel Subway Cotton Glossy Ceramic Tile From Arizona Tile
- Bevel Subway Porcelain: The classic shape and muted color of subway tile balances strong, vibrant hues like purple.
Image: Mineral Pewtrer Ceramic Tile From Arizona Tile
- Mineral Metal Mosaics: Copper and stainless steel tiles can both be paired with a purple room design to achieve two very different effects. Ultra Violet with copper accents is regal and retro, while stainless steel keeps it modern and sleek.
Image: Aequa Castor Porcelain Tile From Arizona Tile
- Aequa Porcelain: Violet naturally complements yellow and gold tones. A warm, bright wood-look tile (like Aequa’s Silva or Tur varieties) can add instant, coordinating richness perfect for your kitchen flooring.
4. Subtle Ways to Use Ultra Violet
Image: Ultra-Violet Opal White Satin Quartzite Backlit Countertop At Vintage 423 Bar & Restaurant in Albuquerque, New Mexico
If you don’t want to make the leap to purple walls or cabinets, there are other, more subtle ways to incorporate this color trend into your home:
- Countertop Backlighting: Quartz countertops can be backlit with violet-hued light to add another dimension to your kitchen. Backlighting creates a truly unique, bold effect that gives a stunning, luminous glow to your countertops.
- Purple Décor: From curtains to rugs to chair cushions to light fixtures, Ultra Violet accents are a great way to add a splash of color and a dose of personality to your space. Add subtle touches of fun with purple cabinet knobs, a violet faucet or wooden décor painted Ultra Violet.