Featured Image: Titanium Granite Slab Kitchen Countertop From Arizona Tile
What is Granite?
Beautiful and elegant, granite is a popular choice for homeowners when it comes to choosing tile for their homes. Durable and easy to maintain, granite is an excellent choice for anybody… especially in high-traffic spaces.
Before you start your new home renovation project, let’s take a closer look at this magnificent choice in home design.
Things to Know About Granite
What is Granite? Underlying much of the earth’s continental crust, granite forms from the slow crystallization of magma below Earth's surface. Considered one of the toughest materials produced by the earth, granite tends to be massive in size, hard and tough.
What Type of Rock is Granite? Granite is a granular and phaneritic felsic intrusive igneous rock. When it comes to popularity contests, granite wins as the most well-known igneous rock.
What is Granite Made of? Composed mostly of quartz and feldspar, granite also contains minor amounts of mica, amphiboles and other minerals.
What Does Granite Look Like? Light in color, granite grains are course and large enough to be seen with the naked eye. Like marble, every slab of granite is unique.
What Color is Granite? The mineral composition of granite usually gives it a red, pink, gray and sometimes a white color, mixed with dark mineral grains visible throughout the rock.
Popular Uses of Granite
Where to begin… granite is widely used both interiorly and exteriorly in architectural projects. From buildings and bridges to paving roads and creating monuments, granite is very popular in exterior projects. But let’s take a look at a few of the ways that granite can be used in the home.
- Countertops: Granite is tough and stands the test of time when it comes to wear and tear, which is why it’s a popular choice in countertop
Image: Café Crème Polished Granite Kitchen Countertop From Arizona Tile
- Backsplashes: Granite backsplashes are unique, custom and look beautiful as a kitchen or bathroom backsplash like the Café Crème granite above
- Fireplace Surrounds: Granite is a great choice in fireplace surrounds as it is durable and can withstand high temperatures
Image: Viscount White Granite Slabs From Arizona Tile
- Flooring: Available in a wide range of colors, granite resists water seepage and is easy to maintain… perfect for a high-traffic floor like the Viscount White granite above
- Patios, Driveways and Walkways: Tough and resilient, granite is popular outdoor the home because of its strength as it will hold up well for years
Image: Meteor Shower Satin Granite Slab Shower Wall From Arizona Tile
- Shower Walls: Granite is a great choice for shower walls, such as the Meteor Shower Satin above, as it is resistant to many of the chemicals found in hygiene products and cleaning supplies
Step into any home these days and the number one topic people love to talk about is the granite countertops. But the truth is, granite is an exceptional choice for many areas in your home and will even make it a more welcoming space for family and friends.
Visit you nearest Arizona Tile showroom for extraordinary granite slabs and tile. Or, visit us online for extraordinary granite slabs and tile.