Featured Image: Viscount White Granite Kitchen Countertop Base from Arizona Tile
Granite is one of the most popular natural stones used in homes, particularly for countertops. It is a very hard stone loved for its durability, timeless style and relatively easy maintenance needs. Strikingly beautiful and naturally resistant to stains, granite can transform a space while serving a practical purpose. If you’d like to learn more about what granite looks like and the many colors and varieties of this stunning natural stone, read on.
What Is Granite?
A type of igneous rock formed under the earth’s surface by slowly cooling magma, granite is composed of a combination of quartz, mica, feldspar and other minerals. The end result is a stone that’s extremely hard, durable and naturally one-of-a-kind.
What Does Granite Look Like?
Granite’s composition includes visible (and often large) crystals of minerals. This gives the stone its signature coarse-grained texture, featuring flecks and grains of different colors. Veins can vary in size and pattern, from small lines and details to large, sweeping veins depending on the variety.
Granite also comes in a huge variety of colors. The most common colorations include:
Image: Steel Grey Granite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- Grey: Many granite slabs have a mixture of veins and details in various shades of grey. Viscount White, Silver Falls, and Steel Grey each offer a different grey tone to complete your modern kitchen, bathroom or other space.
Image: Blizzard Black Granite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- Brown: From sandy, tan-colored granite like Siena Beige to the bold, varied browns in Blizzard Granite, earth tones are a common thread in many varieties of granite. Some granites have undertones of pink or rust.
Image: White Satin Granite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- White: While you won’t find pure white granite, some varieties are white, ivory or cream in color with minimal amounts of brown, grey or black veins and grains. Bianco Montanha and White Springs are two popular options when it comes to white granite countertops.
Image: Indian Premium Black Granite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- Black: There’s no shortage of choices for rich, beautiful black granite countertops. Many black varieties feature striking contrast from white or light grey details or veins. From the smooth Indian Premium Black to the ultra-bold Titanium, black granite is sure to be an eye-catching choice for your home.
Image: Aphrodite Granite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- Blue & Green: Though uncommon, some granite contains minerals that give it a blue or green hue. Varieties like Aphrodite or Azul Bahia can create a big impact with their unusual coloring, turning countertops or floors into a work of art.
The beauty of natural stone is that each slab is truly one-of-a-kind, and some varieties will have more differences from slab to slab. One type of granite may feature broad veins on one slab but a smaller linear pattern on another. Be sure to look at different slabs of the same variety to ensure you love the overall look before it’s installed.
Now that you know what granite looks like, it’s time to find the perfect granite for your home project. Visit an Arizona Tile location near you to see your favorite colors and varieties of granite face-to-face at one of our Natural Stone Slab Yards.