With tile being such a central component of a room’s overall design, it’s really important to keep both tile and grout looking fresh and clean. Maintaining a regular cleaning routine and having high-quality cleaning products in your cabinets will be your saving grace. If you’re envisioning hours spent scrubbing kitchen and bathroom floors and surfaces, no need to worry. Just a little bit of regular attention is all that’s needed to keep your tiled surfaces looking beautiful!
Grout Cleaning Tips
While tile itself needs attention every now and then, cleaning grout is a significant part of keeping tiles looking new. Grout, especially if it’s white or grey, can stain easily, making an entire room look dirty even when it’s clean. With a little tile care and maintenance, your grout will look fresh and renewed. Here are some tips to keep grout looking its best:
• Before cleaning, remove dust. Use a dry broom or mop for floors and a dry cloth for walls.
• Thoroughly cover grout with a cleaning solution, making sure all crevices are well covered. A ceramic/porcelain tile cleaner and clean water will work for a regular cleaning, but if there are any tough stains, you’ll need to use a special grout cleaner.
• Leave the cleaner on for at least 30 minutes to allow it enough time to soak in and effectively remove dirt and grime.
• Use a hard-bristled brush to scrub the grout clean. An old toothbrush is an old-fashioned tool that still works exceptionally well!
• Rinse the tile with clean water and dry completely. And that’s it. Not so bad after all!
Tile Cleaning Tips
The process of cleaning tile isn’t much different than for cleaning grout. A specialized cleaner works great on all natural stone surfaces. Plus, since you shouldn’t need to scrub as vigorously as when cleaning grout, a good quality soft cloth should be sufficient.
While these tips will keep most tiles looking great, be sure to check and follow the specific manufacturer’s instructions for tile care and maintenance, as each material has different care requirements.
Regular Care & Maintenance
Clean tiles and grout improve the appearance of any kitchen or bathroom, making the room appear brighter, cleaner, and larger. Along with the aesthetic benefits, regular care and maintenance also helps to slow down the discoloration of grout and prevent the growth of mold. These are all great reasons to start—and stick with—a tile and grout cleaning routine! For more information on tile and grout cleaning, stop by any of our Arizona Tile locations to speak with one of our professionally trained consultants.