If you’re planning to sell your house in the near future, you may be looking for ways to increase its value and make it more enticing to potential buyers. Read on for our list of 10 great ways to increase the value of your home.
Before we get started, it’s worth mentioning that the kitchen is generally a big-ticket item when it comes to improving your home’s worth. The majority of buyers are looking for an updated, modern kitchen, and they’ll spend a lot more for a home that has an impressive one. Other priorities include bathrooms and your home’s curb appeal.
1. New countertops. A beautiful and long-lasting countertop can transform your kitchen and make your home more valuable. Quartz is extremely popular for its durability and versatile look, and it can bump up your home’s value nicely. Other timeless options include marble and granite. The key is choosing something with mass appeal that most home buyers will love, such as white marble-look quartz.
2.Curb appeal. Improving your home’s curb appeal (and value) is about more than just trimming the shrubs. If your house is lackluster on the outside, consider a bigger project like installing cladding, replacing an old front door, adding a stone walkway or patio, or redesigning the front landscaping for a fresh and attractive look.
3. Stainless steel appliances. The new, sleek look of stainless steel instantly makes a kitchen look modern and up-to-date.
4. Energy-efficient upgrades. Upgrade old, inefficient appliances like water heaters and HVAC systems, and assess your home’s windows and insulation to find ways to improve energy ratings.
5. Main floor laundry room. A main-level laundry room is a common “wish list” item of many buyers, so having one in your home can be a great selling point. Including a quality washer and dryer in the sale is another plus for buyers.
6. Hardwood-look floors. Hardwood is a timeless flooring option that’s appealing throughout the house, but it’s also expensive to install and high maintenance. Get that authentic wood floor look in a more durable and contemporary form with wood-look porcelain tile planks. From trendy whitewashed looks to classic finishes, narrow tiles to wide planks, there’s an increasing number of color and size options for porcelain tile that mimics real wood—and potential buyers will love it.
7. More square footage. Increasing your home’s actual size can earn you more when it’s time to sell. Add more living space by finishing your basement, adding a new room or even building a deck or patio in the back yard.
8. New tile. If the old tile on your shower walls, bathroom floor, kitchen backsplash or other area is outdated or damaged, it’s time to replace it. Installing fresh, modern tile, even in a small area, can breathe new life into a room.
9. Maintenance. A house that appears well-maintained will make a better impression on potential buyers. Repair or replace broken or leaking fixtures, including faucets, lights, toilets, doorknobs, cabinet pulls, railings, etc. Simple maintenance facelifts can have a surprising impact on your home’s value.
10. Fresh paint. A new coat of paint or stain in each room is a great way to make your home look better to buyers. Even repainting trim can have a big effect on the appearance of a room.