Tile is available in thousands of different options, giving you the ability to create home designs that perfectly suit your tastes and complement your home’s style. But with so many choices, it can be a daunting task to figure out what tile is just the right one.
Below are some suggestions for tile color, size, texture, and style that will help you choose a tile that you’ll love and that will be a great fit for your home. At a loss for suggestions? Here is our Tile Trends Pinterest board to help provide inspiration!
When it comes to tile color, there are some basics to consider:
- As with paint, lighter colors are great for small areas as they make spaces appear larger.
- Darker colors tend to add warmth and are good for areas where you like to relax, while bright colors create a cheerful mood and work well in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Neutral colors give you more flexibility in choosing (and changing) décor and accessories.
Get a few tile samples and lay them out in the room you’re thinking of using them in to get a better idea of how they will look.
Just as light colored tile works well in smaller spaces, so do smaller tiles. But for larger spaces, big tiles work nicely and can create a sleek, modern look. Check out our post on large format tiles and where they work best in a home.
Tile with textured or matte finishes are always a good flooring option for kitchens, bathrooms, entryways, and outdoor areas (especially near pools) since they aren’t nearly as slippery as smooth, shiny tiles. If you just love the look of polished tile floors and find this type of tile matches your home best and achieves the look you envision, just take more precaution if the surface gets wet.
The large variety of tile styles can make it difficult to narrow down your choices. Some of the main styles – and they’re benefits – are described below.
• Natural stone Tiles & Slabs tiles such as granite, travertine, and marble offer durability and simple beauty, while providing unique design options that work well with just about any decor and home.
• Wood look-a-like tiles, like those in our Club Series and Massangis Series are desirable for those wanting the natural appearance of traditional wood without the maintenance. This tile is specifically designed to withstand high traffic areas that aren’t suitable for traditional wood floors.
• Subway tile is a classic style that’s still in high demand. This tile is easy to maintain and creates a timeless look in any home.
You’ll also want to factor in where the tile will be and how much use that area will get. If you’re looking for tile for your kitchen and you cook and entertain a lot, you may want a tile that’s durable and easy to clean. If you’re tiling a guest bathroom, on the other hand, you don’t necessarily need the strongest tile around.
To discuss tile options that will complement your home and see our tile products up close, stop by any of our Arizona Tile locations to speak with one of our professionally trained consultants.