Featured Image: Ijen Blue Polished Countertop, Calacatta Umber Honed Marble Backsplash, Anthea Earth Porcelain Floor Tile from Arizona Tile
If you are building a new home or just remodeling, designing a kitchen with ample storage for small appliances will spare you from wasting precious countertop space.
Designing your kitchen with small appliance storage in mind will keep that appliance clutter hidden and organized—letting your beautiful countertops stand out like they should. Here are some creative space-saving ideas to keep your kitchen countertop organized and tidy.
Kitchen Island Storage
Adding an island to your kitchen floorplan is a great way to add additional storage as well as extra counter space. An island can be a large focal piece in the kitchen and is the perfect opportunity to display a beautiful slab of granite, quartzite, marble, or quartz. Each of these one-of-a-kind natural stones is stunning in their own way, with properties and characteristics that vary from stone to stone.
Image: Belvedere Granite Open-Concept Kitchen Island Countertop from Arizona Tile
Cabinets Around Refrigerator
A good use of space is to wrap cabinets around either side of the refrigerator and along the top. When creating your kitchen design, opt for some slide-out shelf kitchen cabinet organizers. This will create the perfect space for storing those bulky items, leaving you more counter space and better functionality.
Custom Kitchen Cabinet with Retracting Pocket Doors
If you don’t have extra area to create cabinet space around the refrigerator–or maybe you want your appliances right in the mix with your other kitchen gadgets–you could chat with your designer about making a set of retractable cabinet doors. Instead of opening like a typical cabinet, these doors retract into the sides of the cabinet to hide away. Have sliding shelves installed so they easily pull-out to reveal your small kitchen appliances for ease of use.
Upper cabinets can quickly fill with dinnerware, so if you don’t feel there is going to be enough room up above, lower cabinets may be the place you need to utilize in your new or remodeled kitchen design. A sliding shelf system can help keep your lower cabinets organized and functional. If you can easily slide the shelves in and out, it will be much more practical to store your small appliances there and free up precious countertop space.
What This Means for Your Kichen Countertops
Since your countertops won’t be covered with appliances, everyone will be able to see the full beauty of your kitchen countertop and tile backsplash. Making design decisions is hard, especially when there are so many kitchen tile ideas to consider. Whether you prefer a classic look, farmhouse tile, or modern designs, there are so many amazing options to create a kitchen that makes a serious statement with stunning natural stone like marble, quartz, quartzite, or granite.
If you are adding a kitchen island as part of your kitchen countertop storage solution, this is a great opportunity to create a focal area with a bold statement stone countertop.
- Ijen Blue is a light-blue, cool-toned quartzite with blue and gold veining throughout. Quartzite is a very hard, durable surface, perfect for a high-traffic kitchen countertop.
- Belvedere Satin is black with ribbons of gold and white throughout. If your kitchen is primarily light in color, a large slab of this granite would stand out in beautiful contrast.
If you choose a gorgeous natural stone countertop such as these, consider a waterfall design. This dramatic look has sides that drop vertically down all the way to the floor. The result will be an amazing focal point island and no one will know you created it as a kitchen countertop storage solution!
Image: Calacatta Lincoln Satin Marble Slab from Arizona Tile
Creating a kitchen to fulfill one need doesn’t mean you need to cut yourself short on others. Adding kitchen countertop storage solutions won’t take away from any of the beauty in the space, it will only add to it. If you’ve added small appliance storage within your cabinet space, you’ll be able to dress your countertops and backsplash as you desire without the worry of it being covered by clutter. Whether you’re a person who enjoys a statement piece with subtle accents, or simply prefer a more traditional look, here are some charming options to consider:
- Calacatta Umber Honed and Calacatta Lincoln Satin are both marble surfaces that would create beautiful countertops or walls in your kitchen. Marble exudes such a natural elegance which will make a statement all on its own. Calacatta Lincoln Satin has a white background with grey veining which varies from thin to wide, while Calacatta Umber Honed has a clean white background with darker veins.
Image: Dakar Quartzite Kitchen Countertop from Arizona Tile
- Dakar is a durable quartzite that is sure to impress. It can handle the wear-and-tear of a kitchen yet appears as elegant as marble. Dakar has light silver background tones with soft grey veins and areas of cream or beige running along those veins.
Image: Bianco Pearl Quartz Kitchen Countertop and Backsplash from Arizona Tile
- With a creamy white background and soft grey variegated veining, Bianco Pearl quartz is the perfect choice to create a light, airy space. This beautiful stone will make for an eye-catching countertop and backsplash that will complement any kitchen design.
At Arizona Tile, you can explore all of our unique stone and tile offerings at one of our locations or check the inventory near you with our online Slab Yard. To picture how different tile selections will look in your space before finalizing your choice, check out our Just Imagine Visualizer. If you have any questions, contact us today. We’ll schedule a consultation and help get you started on your next project.