Replacing the floor tile in your bathroom is a relatively quick and simple upgrade that can transform the style and ambiance of the space. But when you give your bathroom floor a style update, it can be difficult to choose a tile you love that’s also on-trend…but not too on-trend. If you want your bathroom to stand out with a tile design that’s truly special, read on for some unique bathroom floor tile inspiration.
Play with Shapes
One of the easiest ways to make your bathroom tile look unique is to go beyond the square-shaped tile. There are plenty of shapes, sizes and arrangement patterns that can transform the look of any tile instantly. Play with different shapes and arrangements to see what you like. Popular styles include hex, chevron, stack, basketweave, diagonal, arabesque, herringbone, picket and more.
Mix and Match
If one particular tile doesn’t thrill you, try mixing it up. Pair two different tiles together for a look that’s unique. There are a few ways you can do this:
- Pattern + solid. Mix a patterned tile with a complementary solid tile, such as a black-and-white pattern accented with solid black.
- Pattern + pattern. Make the floor the focal point in your bathroom when you pair two coordinating patterns in a one-of-a-kind way. Some tile products, like Chymia, come pre-mixed with a few different patterns to make this easier.
- Special order. For a truly unique bathroom floor tile design, you can special order or even create a custom design featuring different shapes, colors, intricate details and more. Great for a decorative border or medallion, this route is sure to make your bathroom a standout.
Surprise with Color
A bathroom is not typically thought of as a room with lots of color. Many bathroom palettes involve neutral tones, with lighter, subdued colors such as spa green or pale blue. To make your bathroom stand out, opting for something unexpected can have a surprisingly stunning result. Here are a few ideas for using pops of color in your bathroom floor tile:
- Yellow & gold. Create a cheerful space by incorporating soft, buttery yellows and golds into a white bathroom design. This is a great way to warm up your bathroom color palette and keep it from looking too sterile and cold. A marble tile with gold undertones, or gold-colored inlay between white tiles is a luxurious look.
- Earth tones. Take a detour from the classic ocean-inspired bathroom tones and go for something a little bolder with earthy hues. A forest green accent wall paired with wood-look floor tile in a rich, warm color gives your bathroom an instant update for a fresh, hip yet timeless style.
- Red. While a bright red bathroom is probably a bit much, incorporating rustic red tones like terra cotta and copper can make your bathroom warm, inviting and eye-catching. A red-toned Gioia Rosso is unexpected yet chic.
For more unique bathroom tile looks and inspiration, check out our photo gallery of beautiful tile ideas for bathrooms.